Since we have been exploring tea parties in the last post, lets continue it and talk about foods that would best go with such a special occasion. The famous Victoria sponge cake is a must I think. It's so easy and quick to make and it compliments the tea so well. My version is quite straight forward, try it and enjoy it.
For the Sponge
175g of self-raising flour
175g of caster sugar
175g of unsalted butter
3 beaten eggs
3tbsp of strawberry jam
250g of double cream
1 pack of fresh strawberries
Method 1. Set the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter two sandwich tins, each with a diameter of 20cm.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then slowly add the beaten egg.
3. Fold in the sifted flour and spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from the tins.
5. Whip the cream until thick and use it to fill the sponge with the jam.
6. Slice the fresh strawberries and spread it on top on the cream
7. Dust liberally with icing sugar to serve.